"Mirrorless" is the future???

Started Feb 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless is a good example of disruptive technology
In reply to LJSmak, Mar 29, 2012

LJSmak wrote:

They don't seem to do that, most likely because they fear their own mirrorless sales would cost them DSLR sales. The Nikon 1 system appears to use a smaller sensor to avoid just that. (although it struck me recently that the 24-70 when used on the 1-system, becomes a f/2.8 80-200...)

I think Nikon chose the 2.7x sensor because it enables smaller lenses--ie., the whole point is to make a system that's significantly more compact than the 1.5x system and m43 competitors. And unlike the m43 vendors, Nikon even made a very compact swivel flash--so a complete system truly is compact.

I think once Nikon has perfected the in-sensor phase detect AF in the 1 system, they will migrate it (along with EVF) into the low end DSLRs. They won't lose money because people at the low end don't buy many lenses anyway. And the beauty is they can start making a new line of mirrorless APS-C lenses.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Bart
--
http://bhimages.zenfolio.com

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Yes!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow