Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fouad6
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Voter fatigue....a factor to consider
Mar 28, 2012

Some challenge entrants feel that their entry, one of a hundred or a few hundred in a particular case, should have ended up higher than some other entries.

Even without considering the quality of any particular entry, the fact is that beyond the dozen or so entries that truly stand out from among hundreds of entries, the real and exactly fair standing for every picture, in a judging that is at best subjective, is well nigh impossible to achieve.

When a voter is voting through 200+ entries, unless something stands out as truly outstanding or utterly worthless, the majority of the 98% get a vote inbetween somewhere and to say that each voter should consider each of his/her previous and next votes in making sure that all 250 of the votes cast are exactly accurate in depicting which entry is 11th and which is 230th in the ranking is not fair and not possible to achieve even if one were to try to one's best.

So a mediocre entry may end up being 150th or 115th or 230th out of 250. All this really states is that it was very midiocre/unmemorable among other mediocre/unmemorable entries and yes it could have been a bit higher or a bit lower in the final ranking, but that would not mean anything.

Therefore sandbagging or evil intent is not always the reason for an entry to be judged as it is. Outstandingly bad and outstandingly good entries will usually find their place at the polar opposites and the so so entries will occupy the middle of the curve. As to where exactly on the curve these 98% of the entries actually lie is essentially not very meaningful or exact.

When I have an entry that ends up in the bottom or somewhere in the no man's land, I try to see what I could have done to improve my entry to have achieved a better result as far as the judging is concerned. If however, I am convinced that my entry was worthy, then what does it matter where it finished.

fouad6's gear list:fouad6's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow