Rock n Roll. C&C please

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
gromero
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
Re: Rock n Roll. C&C please
In reply to Y0GI, Mar 28, 2012

Timbukto wrote:

I think they look good. Based on focal lengths and aperture were you using kit lens? I think overall for the lighting conditions and subject movement its very good especially if its kit lens (actually kit lens doesn't matter that much and you are showing how good it can still be in the least optimal of conditions).

Noise/grain here is a non-issue as it fits the genre and style of the subject.

Thank you. Yes I used only the kit lens. I had the 50mm 1.8 in my pocket, but I didn't really like using it here because of the lack of IS, it was difficult to keep perfectly still to take any shots.
The kit lens allowed me to fire off a few shots at a time and pick the best.

James Cafferty wrote:

I think you did a good job - considering the worst lighting I have seen for a band. Your pictures show good energy and an attentive audience. Shooting a moving object at ISO 1600 is difficult for anyone.

I probably would have used a 50mm f/1.8 lens and would have opened the lens a little more and tried 1/30 second. I'm assuming that you would have enough room to get closer when desired.

But, it is impossible to sit here and guess the best settings. It would be best (for anyone) to review each shot and make adjustments on the fly.
--
All the best,
Jim

Thank you Jim. Yes it was very dark, but it was a special intimate gig for only a small group of fans in a small venue, so there was no big elaborate lighting. I was still struggling to get anything usable even at ISO 1600, which is a shame, but I learned a lot about low lighting with the 600D that's for sure.

For some reason I'm really not getting on with the 50mm 1.8 I have, as I said because of the lack of IS I think. I don't have the steadiest of hands anyway and in a crowd of people it was evem more difficult to hold the camera still.

Y0GI wrote:

I'm not much of a fan of B&W but the color shots really came out nice!
--
Yogi

That's funny, because I'm not much a fan of colour But I'm glad you like the two I put up, thanks Yogi.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow