Florida Wildlife this weekend (5N + SEL55-210mm)

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,150Gear list
Like?
Florida Wildlife this weekend (5N + SEL55-210mm)
Mar 28, 2012

I was out for the day on Saturday shooting in the wetlands - the worst time of day, in bright harsh afternoon on a near-90 degree day...I started with both my DSLR and birding lens, and the 5N + 55-210 backup at the first location, but by the time I moved to the second location, I abandoned the DSLR and just went light with the 5N since it was so hot. The light was super contrasty and hard but it was still fun to see the wildlife variety out in the wetlands...enjoy the swamp tour!

Alligator scores a nice catch for a meal...if he can just get through the crunchy outside to the chewy center:

A great egret flying through a clear blue sky:

Two moorhens were fighting on the bank:

A green iguana ran down to the shore to see what the ruckus was:

A banded watersnake cruises over some tilapia or carp:

An anhinga cruises half-submerged, mostly just the neck and head sticks out of the water, giving them the nickname 'snakebird':

A burst sequence of a great blue heron flying towards me - I was in spot focus mode and panning with him in AF-S mode, releasing the shutter and reengaging as he flew (I hadn't had time to switch to AF-C, as it was a spontaneous bit of action):

This second shot, farther along the burst, would normally be one I'd delete as it has a bit of boardwalk and a person in the background that spoils the natural feel - but I decided in this case I love having the person in the background, because they have a great tourist expression on their face - this gentleman seemed to be very impressed with the size of the bird and how close it was flying past:

That heron was flying home with a purpose...it was time to start making baby herons, and apparently it was time to get busy with his mate:

As I was leaving for the afternoon, to head back to my house and jump in the pool to cool off, I caught this great egret coming in for a landing:

Comments, questions, critique welcome, and hope you enjoyed a day of variety in the swamps of Florida!

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow