Moving from 50D to T3i or 5D/III. Opinions.

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Customer
Contributing MemberPosts: 776
Like?
Moving from 50D to T3i or 5D/III. Opinions.
Mar 28, 2012

Howdy,

I've been trying to do concert photography in small venues (mostly available light, as flash is seldom allowed), and I'd like to branch out into portraiture. I'm presently using a 50D with a Tamron 28-75/2.8, an EF50/1.8, and an EF85/1.8 as my primary lenses.

Lately, some situations have come up where I:

Need to be able to shoot video.

Would like more breathing room at high ISOs.

Also, while I'm generally satisfied with the results I'm getting, from a lens-quality perspective, I would like to step things up a bit AND gain a little more speed.

My budget's pretty limited, so I've found myself trying to decide between these two outfits:

A 5d Mark III, with my existing lenses (assuming the Tamron still works with it).

-or-

Staying APS-C and going with a T3i with a 24mm f/1.4L and a 50mm f/1.2L.

Are there established conventions in headshot-type portraiture that should push me towards the 5D?

Will the lack of Micro Focus Adjustment (which I use on the 50D) with the T3i present any known problems with the aforementioned lenses?

Two big issues with me, as far as bodies go are: my 50D is really hurting my neck and back (esp. when I've got the Tamron AND a 580 on it); and I wouldn't mind the AF being a little more flexible. Is the T3i a dramatic step down on the AF front?

Thanks in advance!

The Customer

(Alex)

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow