From 7D cropped sensor to which FF cam & lenses ?

Started Mar 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
risbac
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
From 7D cropped sensor to which FF cam & lenses ?
Mar 28, 2012

Currently using :

Canon 7D
Canon 10-22mm (a lot)
Canon 17-55mm IS 2.8 (less and less)
Sigma 30mm 1.4 (a lot)
Canon 85mm 1.8 (quite often)
Sigma 70mm 2.8 (rarely, but some friends love to use it
Canon 70-200mm IS F4 (for sport events)

Let's say I'm a semi pro shooter, it's not my main job, but I did some paid shootings. I'm thinking about moving to full frame because I shoot a LOT in dim light and without a flash (like weddings for instance), so I love big aperture and nice bokeh. FF will give me even more possibilities.

I considered several options :

-buying a 5DII, and keeping the 7D for sport. A bit complicated for lenses as I have some APS-C only lenses, so I can't switch them all to the FF. Cost would be affordable, a used 5DII is around 1500€. As I LOOOOOVE my 85mm on the 7D and I found a good opportunity, I bought an used 135mm F2 already.

-selling all my APS-C only lenses, selling the 7D, and buying a 5DIII. Then I have to replace some lenses. I was thinking about 17-40L (I just NEED a wide angle lens), maybe a 35mm 1.4 (expensive though...), as I love this focal length. Possibility a Canon 50mm 1.4, not that expensive if used. More expensive move, as the 5DIII is really expensive, as well as the L lenses.

-selling everything, and moving to Nikon, as their D800 looks like a wonderful camera for the price. But then I looked at the lenses, and it seems to be a deal killer :

• the 14-24 looks wonderful, but its price is also wonderful

• same remark for most primes from Nikon : very very expensive

• the Nikon 135mm F2 doesn't look as good as the Canon version (and as I said, I LOOOOVE this focal length)

• there is just NO 70-200 IS F4 for Nikon mount, right ?

And also : the D800 seems great for landscape & studio (two domains I'm not interested in), and a bit slow (I don't shoot mostly sport, but still, I really enjoy it).

So my current conclusion is :

-D800 is not really for me, and the switch would be very expensive

-5DII could be an interesting solution, with 2 cameras (nice to have a backup, even if my old Rebel is still working in case I move to a 5DIII). But then all my lenses are not switchable

-5DIII sounds like 5D+7D in one body, and I just have to use one set of lenses. And very good high ISO, and this lovely silent shutter mode (I HATE that people notice when I shoot). Main problem : it's more expensive to change my APS-C lenses and to buy this body.

Are there any obvious flaws in my thinking ? should I maybe consider another brand ? (I checked Sony, the FF body doesn't seem as good, the best lenses seem wonderful, but very expensive). I could also do it in two steps : buy a used 5DII (there are tons now), wait for good deals on the missing lenses, then finally sell my 5DII+7D and buy the 5DIII when it's a bit more affordable. Or maybe I'm not good enough for FF yet and I should just learn a bit more ?

Any good advice ?
--
Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88943939@N00/

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow