dslr for portraits

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
apiron
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
Re: dslr for portraits
In reply to SMPhoto, Mar 28, 2012

SMPhoto wrote:

Is it? I'm generally unsure about this mind bending subject and would like to understand more. I suppose I could try to test myself... I have read that DOF and "field compression" are governed by the lens optics, independent of sensor size. Which makes sense to me. The only difference in a APS-C sensor and a 35mm is that only a portion of the image circle is being used, essentially the image is being "pre-cropped" by the camera.

I'm not sure if you are saying that shooting with a 200mm lens attached to a Full frame camera, then moving 50% farther away from the subject and shooting with the same lens attached to a APS-C camera would yield the same image? Or whether you are saying that a 200mm lens on a APS-C camera at say 30 ft versus a 300mm lens on a FF camera at the same distance will yield the same image? Or both? Or neither?

Perspective (and thus "field compression") is determined only by came-subject relative position. DOF is another matter.

Extreme example here : http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/changing-perspective.shtml

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow