VJVIS
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Re: Trade GH2 for EM5?
In reply to peppermonkey, Mar 27, 2012

@peppermonkey
Couldn't have said it better.
@pjsalty

So far from samples, OM-D is better for jpeg shooting and low light, but how big are you going to print or how close are you going to crop to notice a difference? having said that at base ISOs you would be hard pressed to tell a differnce as long as you pump up the saturation, sharpening on the GH2 (if shooting jpeg).

To me, the fact that you do 50% video alone is enough to recommend that you keep your GH2. OM-D is not going to be able to match GH2's video resolution.

I would probably invest in the 25mm 1.4. I have it and I haven't taken it off my camera since I bought it in November.

peppermonkey wrote:

I don't do any serious video so I'm pretty much a noob in that department but as far as I can tell, the GH2 competes with the likes of the Canon 1D blahs and the newer Canon 5D blahs when it comes to video.
In which case I highly doubt the OM-D would best it.

Video Pro's love the GH1/2 as a mobile/portable video camera and are constantly raving about it (well, considering how small it is and how cheap it is compared to the competition). I could be dreadfully wrong but I haven't really heard the same type of ravings about the OM-D.

As for stills, opinions differ between the OM-D being better and the OM-D being much better. So it's probably safe to say that OM-D takes better photos but the question is by how much. If you are taking mostly photos of your kids, well, IBIS wouldn't help you much (unless you have slow moving kids...if such a thing exist) but better high-iso photos will be handy.

If you are taking half video half stills, I would stick with the GH2 unless you just can't stand the GH2's stills. Of course, if you are a jpeg guy then would recommend the OM-D.

Best thing to do is handle the OM-D when it comes out and see which one feels best to you.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, TZ3, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky and my wife's old K110D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

VJVIS's gear list:VJVIS's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 12.5mm / F12 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow