Macro Kits / Filters..... worth trying as a cheap alternative ?

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Statross2
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?
Re: Macro Kits / Filters..... worth trying as a cheap alternative ?
In reply to Ghiblidaisuki, Mar 27, 2012

probably only really useful on the 70-300..but maybe the 18-50, too. With raynox you dont have to worry too much about thread sizes as they come with a "universal" adapter (i think it works from 50mm-62mm...it'll be on the website).

it depends on the cost. What is the cost to you for raynox and your chosen lens? if the lens is > 10x the cost then buy raynox first, you can sell it afterwards, they hold their value reasonably well. if it's

(P.S. while the 150 is useful, for higher mag a lot of people go for the 250, not 150. if magnification is important to you, the 250 is probably the way to go).

Ghiblidaisuki wrote:

Hi,

I will be buying a Sigma macro lens in the future, but as a stop gap I was thinking of buying either some Hoya screw in macro/closeup filters or a Raynox DCR-150 .

I like Sigma lenses and I currenty have the following lens :-

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM
Sigma AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG APO Macro

Whilst the Sigma AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG APO Macro has Macro facilty I wanted to try Macro on closer sunjects as this Macro can not be used below 200mm as far as I can determine.

My question is would either the Hoya screw in macro/closeup filters or a Raynox DCR-150 be suitable to use in cobination with the lenses I have ?

I realise that the diameter of the lenses I have is different so I would have to decide which sizes to buy......

Does anyone currently use these lens adaptor/kits and if so are they suitable for lenses or are they just a gimic that is not worth trying out...

At the price they are is seems worth a try until I decide what 1:1 Macro to go for.....

Anyone have any comments ort info to the suitablity of these cheap Macro kits/ adapters ?

Thanks

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow