Martin Bailey review of 5DIII

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
tlinn
Regular MemberPosts: 458Gear list
Like?
Re: Martin Bailey review of 5DIII
In reply to Matt Brennan, Mar 27, 2012

David Hull wrote:

I just wish his review didn't end with a B&H promotion; not that I have anything against B&H. I have purchased from them, and I will again. It just gives the feeling of an "infomercial" versus a candid user review. And, it instantly raises the question did he really pay $3500 for his 5DIII or was the camera a gift from B&H for the plug.

I would have prefered that the reviewer kept his article free from a commercial association.

David, I appreciate where you're coming from on this but if you follow Martin you know that he is based in Tokyo. He has a local shop in Tokyo that he does business with and, even if he didn't, if he picked up a 5D3 on the day it was released he couldn't have purchased it from B&H.

Martin's encouragement to purchase through affiliate links on his website is no different than most other photography-oriented blogs and websites, including DPReview (which is now owned by Amazon!). He puts a ton of work into his blog and podcast. It does not seem unreasonable to try to recoup something for his investment. Again, regular readers know that Martin is not just a Canon shill. He has been giving honest opinions about gear and all things photographic for a number of years now. If you haven't listened to his podcast I would encourage you to check it out.

tlinn's gear list:tlinn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow