J'Accuse - Why Do Camera Makers Produce Flawed Products?

Started Mar 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,032
Like?
J'Accuse - Why Do Camera Makers Produce Flawed Products?
Mar 27, 2012

Good essay and something that has annoyed me a lot about Sony, in particular. He says he isn't writing about one particular company and I am sure he isn't, but with all the direct experience I have with Sony cameras and from following closely all their releases since they got into the DSLR market in 2006 I can say that they are the poster child for this bungled, haphazard, don't care way of designing cameras. Mixed in they have some very interesting ideas and tech though. A very frustrating experience to be one of their customers. I have my fingers crossed that the m4/3 makers, Olympus and Panasonic, are not like Sony. What do you who have more experience with m4/3 think?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/jaccuse.shtml

We've all seen it. A new and usually much anticipated camera hits the market and it isn't long (several nanoseconds, usually) before reviewers and users start complaining about design flaws, usually related to handling or operations. Typically these are minor, but sometimes not. Sometimes they are quite significant flaws.

Then, months later, there may be a firmware upgrade. Sometimes not. Sometimes a hardware fix is needed and its 12–24 months until the next model addresses it. Sometimes not even then. Why is this the case, and what can be done about it?

I have had the good fortune to have zero problems with the 3 Canon DSLRs I have or had. Of course, that is based on my usage and there are certain features I have not used. Others may have a different experience.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IMHONew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow