ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gadgetmann
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Reasons to stay Sony?
Mar 27, 2012

Hi all

I bought my first Sony A200 a few years ago and now have the A55. Whilst I started out as a rank amateur and for years took photos in Auto mode thinking I rocked, I've now been bitten by the photography bug and want to be semi-pro over the next year.

So I've been doing high key shoots for friends/families and a few TFP models but have had to use my backup A290 because of the EVF issue on the A55. I've done my first wedding and think I did a very good job given what I charged (budget!) as I wanted my price to reflect the fact I am not a pro with pro gear. I'd rather overdeliver than under.

Anyway, here's my dilemma. Do I start saving for a Nikon or stay Sony?

On the plus side I of course already have Sony lenses, batteries and bounce flash. I've been lusting after the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 which on a Sony I think is great because of the fact image stabilisation is built in whereas if I go Nikon, I'd have to get a VR version of the lens which is about £1k more!

I have a love/hate relationship with the EVF. I love the fact I see what I get and the on screen displayed info. Putting a big box around faces helps keep my life just that little bit simpler. But at the same time the lag is very annoying.

I also think (personal opinion) that the images seem a little noiser than on a Nikon using the equivalent settings.

So what do others think? Part of me says "Stay Sony, get the Tamron lens now and save up for the A99". Another part of me says "Sod it....save up and make the switch to Nikon now....."

I do lust after the D7000 but can you really justify the cost to change not only of the body but the lenses too??

Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A290 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow