Magnesium bodies

Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,365
Like?
Is all marketing (and pleasure)
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Mar 27, 2012

The post about "pleasure" has got it right: pleasure and marketing is what is driving this. No one has any testing results to point to, and the answer is not obvious without testing. Volvos once reflected the view that a car frame should be stiff, then it was decided it should be selectively crushable to reduce g forces. Should a body work to distribute and reduce impact forces or to be stiff. Only lots of testing would show.

Either plastic or metal can be made weather/water resistant. So that is irrelevant. Also electronics are generally more easily made shock resistant than mechanical components, although added glass in the form of the display panel in the back, not just the lens in the front, increases risk.

To test one would need to know the probability of various kinds of damaging impacts and whether the case should optimize for stiffness or reduced g forces on internal components. Then one would need to design to neutralize the most probable risks. Is that done? There is no evidence that it is.

(BTW: I subjected a P&S camera to a mild blow, which broke the focus mechanism internally somehow. I was on a long camping trip and very distraught over the loss. After some testing I decided I had nothing to lose by dropping it again with an equal impact on the opposite side. That fixed it.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow