Resolution comparison

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,214
Like?
Re: It cracks me up
In reply to odl, Mar 27, 2012

odl wrote:

It is silly that the needs of the few impact the thoughts of the many so often.

So very well said, as is your entire post. I recently made 20 X 30 prints from an E-420 that are indistinguishable in IQ from same-size prints made from a Canon 1Ds II. I've recently included shots taken with a Canon G7 point and shoot (shot JPEG; the G7 didn't include RAW capture) in a book of photographs to be released sometime this spring. The G7 image is 12" X 19", a full spread in my book. You would be hard pressed to tell it wasn't shot with the likes of a Canon 5D, Olympus E-5, Nikon D2x, etc.

Yes, the D800/D800E is all about selling cameras, and sell a ton they will. The 36MP resolution does have its advantages, ie crop room, exceptional detail at extremely large print sizes, etc. And its high ISO performance is apparently ground-breaking. But if one isn't focal length limited, if one believes in composing in-camera and generally shoots at modest ISOs (meaning ISO 3200 and below) then the D800 is somewhat irrelevant.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
http://www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow