Problem with Alpha 900 (and 700) with MacBook Pro

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeM42
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
Re: This is what RCC is for - correction
In reply to Mark K W, Mar 26, 2012

Interesting. My experience when I installed the Sony software on my MacBook is that RCC didn't even install, nor was there a message indicating it wasn't compatible or anything else, it just didn't install.

I then installed a more recent version of the software from the support site, which didn't include RCC. There was a note that if you wanted to install RCC you had to install from a previous version.

Here's where things get really weird. I inserted my install disk and was informed that there was a newer version of the software on the Mac and the install wouldn't proceed, even though I just needed the one application. I uninstalled the new version of the software, ran the install from disk.....and was informed that there was a newer version of the software on the Mac! I'm new to Macs but being an IT pro started nosing around but couldn't find any vestiges of the software on the HD.

I called Sony support and the lady who answered was very helpful but couldn't resolve the issue. She connected me to a higher level support person who was NOT helpful - basically I got the impression that if he didn't know the answer off the top of his head (he had some suggestions, but I'd already tried them) he didn't want to bother with it.

I fooled around with it a few more days then called Sony again. The same lady answered and again wanted to help but couldn't. She connected me to the same higher level support person with the same result.

Next step was to call Apple, even though this, to me, is a Sony problem. The lady at Apple was also very helpful and really tried, but couldn't resolve the problem either.

On a brighter note, I installed my copy of Lightroom on the Mac a little while ago, downloaded the demo version of the DSLRSoftware tethering plugin for Lightroom, and it looks like it's going to work. It's not a perfect solution because I'll need to use my remote cable release to use the bulb setting, but that's not a big deal.

-- hide signature --
 MikeM42's gear list:MikeM42's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow