Yellowstone holiday advice sought

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Virginia Bill
Contributing MemberPosts: 748Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for the info folks
In reply to IKB, Mar 26, 2012

Umm . . . Copper Canyon is in Mexico, a long, long way from Yellowstone. I don't see how you can include it in this trip.

The drive from Yellowstone to Glacier is also long but doable (and scenic). While you're in the Glacier area you should also consider a day visit to Waterton Lakes National Park, just across the Canadian border.

Yellowstone-Tetons is one of the best places in North America for wildlife viewing. You'll want the longest lens you can manage -- at least 300mm -- and a telextender would be useful if you can control camera shake (I use a beanbag when I can't take a tripod).

The drive between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons is an hour or more, so you might want to split your accommodations between the two. Jackson, Wyoming, on the southern edge of Grand Tetons, is a good base of operations for at least part of your stay.

Salt Lake City is a good travel hub, though the drive to Jackson, Wy. is about five hours. You can fly between SLC and Jackson to save some time.

Virginia Bill's gear list:Virginia Bill's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Leica M8 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow