Update to D800 review - daylight shooting, resolution and AF

Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,337Gear list
Like?
The D3 and D700 were outstanding in this regard
In reply to James Bligh, Mar 26, 2012

having so much headroom. Every other digital SLR I've owned has been right about the 2 1/3EV over "neutral" that the D800 allows–and none of them had anywhere near the total dynamic range of the D800, so I'm thrilled with the performance of the D800. It's take no time to get in the habit of placing my spot-metered neutral highlights at a cautiously conservative +2 for the D800 rather than an aggressive +2 2/3 or even occasionally +3 for the D700.

James Bligh wrote:
Dynamic range

Nikon’s claims about more dynamic range than the D700 are true, but must be accompanied with a caveat. I’m finding that while there was a lot of recoverable headroom in D700 files, there isn’t so much in the D800 – however, there’s more useable shadow detail and less noise. Subjectively, I think we’ve lost 1 stop in the highlights and gained around 2 in the shadows; this at base ISO. You could probably pull a bit more out of it with judicious use of the right sliders in your raw converter, but then color accuracy starts to wane. At higher ISOs, color accuracy in the shadows is a bit suspect and heavily influenced by the ambient light source.

Intermediate conclusion

Initially, I thought I’d shoot this camera at full size raw and then reduce by 50% to 18MP; not so. Instead, I’m processing at full resolution but forcing myself to be more selective about the keepers. I guess it’s a rare example of a camera actually driving you to be a better photographer – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I still need to go out to buy more hard drives, though. MT

-- hide signature --

I suspect 'more selective about the keepers' is an euphemism of 'unforgiving'.

Ming Thein wrote:

I had a chance to put the D800 through its paces under better shooting conditions today - plenty of light and optimal apertures. In short: it delivers, and the resolution is truly astounding.

Full writeup and images here:
http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/03/24/nikon-d800-review-update-daylight-shooting/

Ming

--

Decision, decision, we are the slaves of decisions we made inadvertently.

May God forgive us our imperfections!

Dust to dust, what on earth are we entitled to claim?

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow