Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Photato
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
Re: Elph 500HS Zoom Range analysis.
In reply to PhilM oz, Mar 26, 2012

PhilM oz wrote:

Photato wrote:

Does CHDK, allows control of the ND filter?

Yes.

Also is the FL displayed live?

Yes, when you use manual focus. I don't recall it being displayed at other times (although it could be added I think).

With my old Elph 870 IS and CHDK loaded it has an option to display FL, Actual or 35mm Eqv.

How mature is the latest version?

It does not seem to be a very popular camera (at least with CHDK users) so I haven't had a lot of feedback or bug reports. AFAIK all standard CHDK features work.

The touch screen movie override controls can crash the camera; but these are unique to this model. I haven't spent a lot of time on this as no one has asked for improvements (and I rarely use it).

Oh so is you who has developed this CHDK for the 500HS? great and thanks so much.

Yeah the 500HS is not very popular in contrast with the 300HS, which is hugely popular, I have both and I'm having a hard time deciding which one I'm gonna keep. Both have Pro and Cons.

Well, all I need is a bit of more control, like Manual Focus during video, exposure compensation, ND filter control and FL display.

For instance, the iFrame movie mode has less compression artifacts and is easier to edit since it uses all keyframes, but it lacks Focus Lock which is available in the regular movie modes.

Time lapse is thing good feature to have, but i think that already comes with CHDK basic.

No wonder why people recently are getting by just with their cell phone cameras when Manufacturers purposely remove features from this cameras. My old SD870is has some features that this latest Elphs don't !

Well I'm gonna try it when i have a chance and report back.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon EOS M Apple iPad Mini +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow