D800 for sports?

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Snodayz
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 for sports?
In reply to Dan Nikon, Mar 26, 2012

I think the OP shouldn't be put off by the rather condescending comments from Dan Nikon. Who cares what the pros might or might not do? You are a keen photographer and if you can afford the best gear get it. His comments are a bit like saying if you aren't a professional race car driver, don't buy a sports car! How large you print is also irrelevant. You said yourself you will use those extra pixels for cropping.

I have a D3s which does all-round duty for me but which absolutely excels with sports, indoors and out. It doesn't excel for travel as I have to carry a separate flash for it (yeah, a built in flash is still pretty useful for low powered fill), and it's too large. So I've ordered a D800 and will use both. I will certainly try the D800 with sport, but suspect the D800's low frame rate will trump it's higher IQ for sport applications. So I'm thinking I'll continue with the D3s for sport, while using the D800 for everything else.

Time will tell. I hope you make the right decision for your needs, and don't be put off by people saying the D800 (or any other camera or lens for that matter), is too much camera for you.

Snodayz's gear list:Snodayz's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow