Nikkor 50mm F-1.2

Started Oct 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Re: Nikkor 50mm F-1.2
In reply to tom_mcclintock, Mar 26, 2012

I guess your birthday has come and gone... what did you end up getting?

For the sake of discussion, I own an f/1.2 "big glass" and use it on my D300. I don't know what other lenses you own but if you have an 18-200mm, at 50mm the maximum aperture is around f/4.8 — that's 4 stops slower than f/1.2 and even VRII won't buy you 4 stops in the real world (most of the time).

The 1.2 is the real deal... not plastic and it's built like a tank. Image quality is phenomenal (but I haven't used the other Nikkor 50mm primes but everywhere says the 1.2 is the best). You don't get any bells and whistles, like AF, but it's a pleasure to use. At f/1.2 you'll have about 3 inches of DOF in front of a subject that is 10 feet away, so any closer I suggest using a tripod. Just normal wobbling around on your feet can bring a subject in and out of focus.

I had real trouble getting accurate focus at close range until I bought a KatzEye, which also improved shots taken with my Reflex-Nikkor 500mm. Oh yeah, buy and use a lens hood.

The f/1.2 does suffer from sagittal coma flare (sometimes producing "angel wings" when wide open) but stopped down you get beautiful 18-point stars off of bright point sources at night.

Not an easy lens to use and takes some time to get used to but it's gorgeous!
"The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up!"

HoaiPhai's gear list:HoaiPhai's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow