Nikkor 50mm F-1.2

Started Oct 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
HoaiPhai
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikkor 50mm F-1.2
In reply to tom_mcclintock, Mar 26, 2012

I guess your birthday has come and gone... what did you end up getting?

For the sake of discussion, I own an f/1.2 "big glass" and use it on my D300. I don't know what other lenses you own but if you have an 18-200mm, at 50mm the maximum aperture is around f/4.8 — that's 4 stops slower than f/1.2 and even VRII won't buy you 4 stops in the real world (most of the time).

The 1.2 is the real deal... not plastic and it's built like a tank. Image quality is phenomenal (but I haven't used the other Nikkor 50mm primes but everywhere says the 1.2 is the best). You don't get any bells and whistles, like AF, but it's a pleasure to use. At f/1.2 you'll have about 3 inches of DOF in front of a subject that is 10 feet away, so any closer I suggest using a tripod. Just normal wobbling around on your feet can bring a subject in and out of focus.

I had real trouble getting accurate focus at close range until I bought a KatzEye, which also improved shots taken with my Reflex-Nikkor 500mm. Oh yeah, buy and use a lens hood.

The f/1.2 does suffer from sagittal coma flare (sometimes producing "angel wings" when wide open) but stopped down you get beautiful 18-point stars off of bright point sources at night.

Not an easy lens to use and takes some time to get used to but it's gorgeous!
--
"The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up!"

HoaiPhai's gear list:HoaiPhai's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow