D800 -- end of medium-format?

Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,914Gear list
Like?
Law of diminishing returns
In reply to colesf, Mar 26, 2012

As technology matures and you start pushing up against physics and economics, you can expect to have only slight improvements in performance compared to great increases in cost. But that is natural: consider automobiles. Certainly, I enjoyed shooting medium format film cameras, and I really liked the easy image quality that I got from it. Some people would benefit from the added quality of digital medium format, and will be willing to pay a lot for it, but most people won’t. That doesn’t mean that there won’t be a market for it, nor that people won’t buy it, it just means that it will be rare and expensive, as long as it performs better. 10x the price almost never means 10x the performance, but you might get much better build quality.

Now I’ve been toying with the idea of making a custom large-format digital scanning camera for making humongous prints (and just because it is a cool idea) but it certainly won’t be a practical camera. I’ve used a cheap point-and-shoot camera, and stitching together hundreds of separate images to do the same thing, and it didn’t cost much at all. But such a custom camera would have definite benefits for certain purposes.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow