Started Mar 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bbbinohio
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
16-35mm or 14-24mm on D800 ??
Mar 26, 2012

I am really struggling on this decision, and would love to hear other opinions. I would have posted this on the lens forum, but I think it's especially relevant when these lenses are paired with the D800 & D800E. I am currently leaning towards the ultimate image quality, but I am also thinking that the only way I get that ultimate IQ on the D800 is to use a tripod. Hmmm... Do I really have to buy them both????

The 16-35mm...

1) has VR (which may be very important when walking through the inside of a building) . And therefor will yield much better results than a non-VR lens when hand held, especially on the D800E.

2) has 35mm which makes it part of a good "do everything duo kit" when packed with the 70-200mm.
3) takes filters
4) is lighter
5) is considerably cheaper (which is not that important to me)

The 14-24mm

1) has better color saturation.

2) is sharper (especially at the wide end where I am likely to use it the most.) and that's especially important when pared with the D800E... and is anything really more important than overall image quality?
3) is one stop faster allowing me more creative control over DOF.
4) is 2mm wider, and that's a lot at that end of the lens.

Thanks!
Bob

bbbinohio's gear list:bbbinohio's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow