The Sunday BIRD, Volume 7 Issue 42, March 25, 2012

Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Namur
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Magpie Jays - Costa Rica
In reply to Richard Pavek, Mar 26, 2012

Magpie-Jays are very colourful, mid-sized birds and they are pretty curious. However, they do not much like to have a camera lens pointed at them, so are prone to hopping around to put tree-branches between themselves and the photographer. The great reach of the ZD 70-300 + EC 1.4 certainly helps overcome the elusive nature of these birds -

Recently, there was a string of posts here discussing how the ZD 70-300 stacks up with the ZD 50-200. I have both (and like each for what it is able to do), so here are a few more of the Magpie-Jays, taken with that lens (SWD version) -

In bright light (not much of a problem during the day in Costa Rica's dry season, except for patches of deep shade) the 70-300 is awsome - using it (in the right light) + the EC 1.4 gives great results. The 50-200 is sharper maybe, focuses quicker and has a number of other advantages - and possibly it is less critical to use than the 70-300 - but the 70-300 is a very satisfying lens that punches well above its weight, IMO. I'm glad to have both these lenses in my kit - I make sure to use them in a regular rotation, with and without the EC 1.4 -

Hope you enjoy the shots
Cheers All
Namur

Namur's gear list:Namur's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
RichNew
carizi MOD
carizi MOD
carizi MOD
carizi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow