Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
Re: Yellowstone holiday advice sought
In reply to IKB, Mar 26, 2012

IKB wrote:

The A700/18-250 would be better for wildlife but is a lot more bulky. What would you suggest taking?

Take everything would be my advice.

As I said above principal sights are Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, dinosaur NP, Tetons, Copper Canyon, Great Salt Lake. Is there anything else in the area that I should be visiting. The only thing fixed at present is the Yellowstone NP accommodation, I could even fly into another airport if the trip would be improved.

I've never been to Copper Canyon, but if I were going to do what you're planning I would probably spend 3-4 days in Rocky Mountain National Park, drive up to Yellowstone and spend 3-4 days there (and the Tetons), and then spend the remainder of my time in Glacier. LOTS of amazing things to see in all three places. My specific recommendations are below.

In Rocky Mountain NP: Dream Lake and Emerald Lake are both amazing. Well worth the hike to see them both at sunrise. Great photo opportunities. Be prepared to get up early to hike up there and be first for the best spots. Estes Park is a bit of a tourist trap but is pretty serene in many ways.

In Yellowstone I'd do research and prioritize. Mammoth hot springs, the paint pots, upper and lower falls are all very nice photo opportunities. Old Faithful is highly overrated IMO. Definitely make time for the Tetons. Look up the Church of Transfiguration and stop by if you have time. Quite the view!

In Glacier there's so many amazing things to see. Going to the Sun highway is simply awesome. Do NOT go to Glacier without planning to go see Hidden Valley Lake. The hike can be crazy cold, very hot, and everywhere in between but it's beautiful! Worth every second it takes to make the journey though!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow