Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
krugman
Contributing MemberPosts: 816Gear list
Like?
G1X better for urban travel photos?
Mar 25, 2012

This is my first post here so no doubt I am violating many rules. I would like to ask your advice for a specific kind of photography.

I like cities and know a bit about them, and on my travels I take photos to try to express the ambience of urban life as I see it. That is the goal of my photography.

I prefer to photograph people in their environment, not head and shoulders photos. I prefer people in groups, or street scenes to photos of isolated individuals. It seems more tactful, less intrusive, and more expressive. So bokeh is not an issue for me.

I am currently using a Canon G12. Before that, I used a Sony W12 and similar point and shoots. The G12 is better than the earlier ones. What I like most about the G12 is the fully articulating screen, since I almost always shoot at waist level, as people used to do with twin lens reflexes.

I never hold a camera way out in front of me. I also avoid, unless there are rapidly moving people, the use of an eye level viewfinder: i feel t bothers people since it too much resembles a gunsight for which they are the target.

My question is, would the G1X for my particular purposes be a modest improvement, a big improvement, or no readily discernible improvement on the photos I am now taking?

A few of the kind of photos I am now taking are in my gallery. As you can see, I never take head and shoulders photos of strangers.

I don't do landscapes very much at all. I do some interiors of buildings and some low light photos in the urban environment, in cafes and stores and museums.

Would a G1X help me to do better? I really that what is crucial is developing an eye. And I realize that the key feature I am seeking in my photos is feeling, not detail. But maybe the great advantage in low light would help me sufficiently to make the $800 expenditure worth while.

The photographers I admire most are Andre Kertesz, Vivian Maier, and Gianni Galassi.

I hope Marco Nero is reading this since I like his photos a lot and he seems very sensible. I don't have a cat though, I am allergic.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Krugman

krugman's gear list:krugman's gear list
Kodak Pixpro S-1
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow