Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
EdBen
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
Re: Should I upgrade to a hybrid?
In reply to diver110, Mar 25, 2012

diver110 wrote:

I did not invent the term. See, e.g.,

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=455203&modelNo=Content07202010103626331&surfModel=Content07202010103626331

An camera I am thinking about is the Panasonic Lumic GF2.

Those two cameras have nothing to do with each other.

The one in the link is what I know as a "bridge": small sensor, superzoom, minitiature SLR look. All in one at the cost of quality kind of thing, great if you need a big zoom range and/or do not want to bother with multiple lenses or do not need low light capabilities. It really is litteraly an "ugraded point and shoot", even though it may have extended manual controls.

The GF2 is a micro four thirds, ie a "mirrorless", also known as "hybrid" in some places: the sensor is much bigger and is in range with the smaller DSLR sensor sizes, the lenses can be changed. The only big difference with a DSLR is the absence of a mirror and an optical viewfinder (other m4/3 models have electronic viewfinders). The sensor is smaller than most DSLRs which limits somewhat some capabilities, the camera is a a trade-off beteween size and capabilities. That being said, within the micro four thirds range, the GF2 is one of the more "point and shoot" cameras I believe, as opposed to the GX1 or the OM-D EM5 for example.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow