Your thoughts on a 2X TeleConverter?

Started Mar 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
BrianA2
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: Your thoughts on a 2X TeleConverter?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Mar 25, 2012

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

BrianA2 wrote:

I am interested in this discussion because I am looking into the possibility of a 70-200 f2.8 + 2x teleconverter combination that works properly, including autofocus.

On a recent trip to Madagascar, I found myself with a very non-optimal lens setup. I took my Bigma and k-x, but found that when photographing lemurs in the forests, most of the time the distances were not great, but the light levels were poor, so the 70-200 2.8 would have been a better choice. However, there were some occasions, particularily for birds, where the longer focal length was useful, and the light was ok.

The sigma 70-200 plus teleconverter combination is lighter than the bigma, which would have also been an advantage as the terrain was often difficult and most shots were hand-held. So I gather that what I need is an old sigma 70-200 (I assume series 1 rather than 2) and a sigma 2x. Any other combinations that anyone has used successfully?

A TC effectively reduces the speed of a lens: a 1.4X reduces by 1 stop, a 2X by 2 stops. This means that a 70-200/2.8 effectively becomes a 140-400/5.6 when used with a 2X TC. In other words, it's actually a 1/2 stop slower than the Bigma at the short end and only 1/2 stop faster at the long end.

A 1.4X TC may be a better bet: 105-300/4 seems more useful for what you describe.

Actually what I had in mind was walking around with the 70-200 on the camera, with the 2x in my pocket/bag, to be inserted if the need arose. Obviously a bit of a decrease in spontaneity, though.

Has anyone had any experience with the Tamron 70-200 2.8, with or without a teleconverter, as this is readily available.

BrianA2's gear list:BrianA2's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Canon EOS 40D Pentax K-r +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow