lens help - Nikon 16mm - 35mm f/4.0 AF-S ED (VR-II)?

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,119Gear list
Like?
lens help - Nikon 16mm - 35mm f/4.0 AF-S ED (VR-II)?
Mar 25, 2012

I have read varying opinions regarding this lens and lens scores don't tell the whole story. I know that the center can be sharp - it should be on any lens.

I am getting the D800 with the 24-120 f/4 VR, and 50 f/1.4 G.

I am trying to concentrate on glass to cover a general range, and where I care about IQ (which is landscape).

I find the focal lengths that I use most for landscapes are between 24 to 35 but that's probably because of the lenses that I have. I almost always shoot base ISO at f/8 - f/11 and frequently use ND filters - so that and the apparent flare issue with that lens despite its great sharpness pretty much rules out the 14-24 f/2.8. Not being able to use an ND pretty much means that I might have to shoot at 5am or something.

I can see myself shooting with this in two situations:

• tripod, f/8 - f/11 - this is where I would be really interested in IQ corner to corner and less vignetting.

• handheld, f/4 with VR - for handheld shots where pixel sharp IQ corner to corner is not that important

How are those of you that are using this lens finding it wide open and at f/8-f/11?
What are the borders and corners like at these respective apertures?

Thanks for any feedback about your experiences.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow