lens help - Nikon 16mm - 35mm f/4.0 AF-S ED (VR-II)?

Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,338Gear list
Like?
lens help - Nikon 16mm - 35mm f/4.0 AF-S ED (VR-II)?
Mar 25, 2012

I have read varying opinions regarding this lens and lens scores don't tell the whole story. I know that the center can be sharp - it should be on any lens.

I am getting the D800 with the 24-120 f/4 VR, and 50 f/1.4 G.

I am trying to concentrate on glass to cover a general range, and where I care about IQ (which is landscape).

I find the focal lengths that I use most for landscapes are between 24 to 35 but that's probably because of the lenses that I have. I almost always shoot base ISO at f/8 - f/11 and frequently use ND filters - so that and the apparent flare issue with that lens despite its great sharpness pretty much rules out the 14-24 f/2.8. Not being able to use an ND pretty much means that I might have to shoot at 5am or something.

I can see myself shooting with this in two situations:

• tripod, f/8 - f/11 - this is where I would be really interested in IQ corner to corner and less vignetting.

• handheld, f/4 with VR - for handheld shots where pixel sharp IQ corner to corner is not that important

How are those of you that are using this lens finding it wide open and at f/8-f/11?
What are the borders and corners like at these respective apertures?

Thanks for any feedback about your experiences.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D750
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow