Started Mar 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Elite83
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
Reverse Mounting lens for Macro?
Mar 25, 2012

I just bought a Vivitar 75-300mm F/4.5-5.6 (maybe you saw my other thread) and I haven't really been able to test it out yet as the weather has been raining and overcast all day (tomorrow too). I decided to play around with the macro capabilities of it, and I'm basically not very impressed.

I know that there are different options to get more macro-capability from lenses with extension tubes, magnification filters, reverse mounting, and reverse mounting a lens on top of a lens. This lens is already so large an extension tube would be absolutely crazy, adding a reverse lens on the end would be too. My question is, what would happen if I reverse mounted a 75-300mm tele? I've seen some people reverse mount a 50mm prime, and even the NEX kit lens, so what would be the difference? (other than size of the lens) Any advantages?

I'm not totally disappointed because what can you really expect from a $20 (current, formerly $200) lens? I bought it more for trying out wild-life shooting anyway, but being able to do macro photography would be nice to try as well.

Here's a picture of my new, rather big toy.

And some (poor) sample shots as well. All were handheld.

Taken at ISO 12800, kitchen light on, not exactly optimal circumstances I know.

As I mentioned, it was raining heavily all day today, it was a little foggy too, taken through a window and screen at 300mm. I would say, for the poor light and weather conditions, handheld, this isn't too bad for 300mm because I can still see the pattern of the bricks.

Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow