Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
razorfish
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
QC going downwards in mFT products
Mar 24, 2012

It seems to me this is the case. I've been looking to get into the system again after selling my GH2 a year ago. Big draw was the new Panasonic X lenses, but after reading about all the problems I no longer want them. Also Panasonic refuses to acknowledge the issues. The upcoming fast zooms are looking so promising, but now it seems to me we can't be certain those won't have similar problems. Sad.

Then the E-M5 announcement became a big reason to invest in mFT. Finally we're getting somewhere with professional quality gear. Was so certain I'd get back into the system that I bought an E-PM1 for my upcoming vacation. I knew about the lousy stabilization for video work, and I knew about the lack of a wind-cut filter, but I still figured I'd be able to work with it (about 25% of my photography is video). Guess what.... AF noise with the kit 14-42mm is terrible in recorded videos. It sounds like a machine gun is going off in the background. Says MSC right there on the lens barrel (it's the new R version) which obviously is a meaningless designation. I'd be more willing to accept such a flaw if the lens didn't promise movie compatibility.

I've owned many Olympus cameras in the past, and never had any quality issues. Never a problem with the GH2 either. Now I'm very unsure about investing more heavily in this system. If marketing promises certain features in a product, I just expect those features to be there and work without flaw. mFT really seems like the most sensible compromise between high quality and small size, so it is really sad to see these issues popping up all over the place.

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow