Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shawn in ak
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?
Budget Tele Lens for Full Frame
Mar 24, 2012

I recently purchased a 5DII with the 17-40L and Canon 50 f/1.4 lenses. I'm looking to slowly grow my collection of lenses. My main interest is in landscapes but I'd love a telephoto as the spring migration of shorebirds will soon be flying through the southern Alaska area where I live.

Ultimately, I think I'd be happy with the 17-40, 50, with the additions of the 24-105 as a travel/walkaround and something like 100-300 for tele. Though I'd definitely appreciate any critique of this lineup.

Willing to pay up to a grand at the very max.

The 70-200 f/4 L is tempting with a 1.4x teleconverter, though I'm pretty concerned I'd miss IS. Ultimately, 300mm may not even be enough for small birds from a distance. I plan on using a tripod but can see myself wanting to do some hand helds. I'm also considering a 70-300, old 100-300L and Sigma/Tamrons.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been beaten to death.

shawn in ak's gear list:shawn in ak's gear list
Pentax K-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow