Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nitts999
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
I don't get sRAW (seriously)
Mar 24, 2012

I'm not a troll, just someone looking to upgrade my APS-C to FF and weighing Canon vs Nikon (since my old EF-S glass is worthless anyway).

I've heard comments that people are in love with sRAW, so I tried to do some research and Google searches turn up cursory technical info, but nothing that really explains why folks are so passionate about it.

On paper, it doesn't make sense to me. If I'm bothering with a RAW file, it's likely that I want to do editing/retouching of some kind or I would've just shot in JPG and called it a day. For editing, you generally want as much of the original source data as possible to avoid quanitzation or posterization ( http://j.mp/GMLTFT )

So if I want it straight out of the camera, I choose JPG. If I want to do post-processing, the true RAW seems ideal.

Help me understand the appeal of sRAW?

(again, I'm truly open minded and asking because I seriously am ignorant of the benefits, not as a rhetorical question!)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow