7d noise. Is this normal?

Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
BaldCol
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
Re: 7d noise. Is this normal?
In reply to Mark Salvetti, Mar 24, 2012

Mark Salvetti wrote:

I went from the 40D to the 7D as well, over 2 years ago. These may be normal, but these images are not representative of what the camera can do, if that makes any sense.

They are waayyy underexposed. That will make the noise seem worse than it should be. There is probably more noise in the 7D, especially at the pixel level, but I don't find it to really be that much of a problem, especially if you are printing. It looks bad if you compare 100% crops of both cameras, but that's not the way to do it.

I shoot lots of high ISO sports (3200 and above), as well as low ISO aviation. The 7D has given me images I never could have gotten with the 40D, with respect to AF and high ISO performance, as well as reach.

For me, for what I shoot, the 7D is a much better camera than the 40D. You may need to ask yourself why you upgraded - it may be that the 7D's features are not what you needed, but for me, they definitely are.

Mark

Hi, it's a great camera. I love it. I realise the images I posted were under exposed. I was only interested in the noise. You and one other have said it looks normal for a 7d. That's what I wanted to know. The 7d can take great photos and now I can be confident that any problem with the image is my lack of technique not a problem with the camera.

Cheers

Colin

BaldCol's gear list:BaldCol's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow