WOW! Dxomark for D800 (link to Dxomark, no fake pics)

Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,763Gear list
Like?
Yes - especially weddings
In reply to amobi, Mar 24, 2012

amobi wrote:

When buying a camera I never looked at the DR scores but I am always looking at the ISO performance. ISO performance will make it or break it for me.

The only reason I have not ordered mkiii is because I want to make sure that the ISO performance is actually better than 5Dii. I never looked or cared about DR. Am I missing something. As a wedding photographer should I be looking at these numbers moving forward or is this another gear heads talk.

Inquiring mind wants to know.

The DR is the difference that the camera will record between the lightest and darkest parts of the image - so if you are shooting a groom in a black suit and want detail in the suit plus the bride in a white dress (and you want detail in the dress too) then the more DR you have the easier it is to do that.

It can stop you having to use fill flash or reflectors in bright light.

But if you're not running into issues then don't worry about it - trying to find a way to display/print 13 or 14 stops will be a challenge!

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
now?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow