85mm 1.4G nearly impossible to shoot moving subjects wide open?

Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
argh69
Regular MemberPosts: 310
Like?
85mm 1.4G nearly impossible to shoot moving subjects wide open?
Mar 24, 2012

comparing it to the 50mm 1.4G, this lens is completely different in ways i did not imagine. of course, everything that was touted about it was accurate. it is insanely sharp wide open. it is probably sharper wide open than the 50mm prime is at 2.8, it appears.

the only complaint i have is that shooting moving subjects, even slightly moving, wide open will most likely miss the focus. i do not think it is a focusing issue because if subject stands still it focuses accurately. i think that the DOF is so shallow at 1.4 that the auto focusing (continous C in-camera on D700) speed is just not fast enough and by the time the shutter has been pressed the subject is out of the focal plane. the 50mm 1.4G i could track my kids in the house all day long at 1.4 and it never had focus issues but of course the images were not very sharp there.

even flash doesn't seemt to freeze the action with the 85mm. so based on this i am concluding that it must be the shallower DOF that i am not used or that shooting moving subjects, especially indoors and without a ton of distance to work with, is not possible with this lens?

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow