Started Mar 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gelbvieh
Regular MemberPosts: 166Gear list
Like?
300mm IS f/4 - Would you buy?
Mar 24, 2012

I've been looking at the 300mm IS f/4 lens to pair with a Kenko Pro 300 DXG 1.4x TC for a trip to Africa (Kruger) next year. A tidy copy of this lens is available 2nd hand, its one of the early IS versions and had its gyro FPC sub FPC Auto Focus drive assembly and the main PCB assembly replaced last year after an error 1 reading (taken off the Canon repair warrenty sheet). Given its IS has been replaced less than a year ago is this lens worth buying so should I get a more recent copy? I can only afford second hand.

What is people's experience with the lens and a 1.4x TC? It will either be paired with a 450D or a 600D. Or should I consider the non IS version?

My other lens will be a 70-300mm L but I don't really want to add the convertor to this. I'll also be taking something like my 17-55mm or a G1X.

I have considered the 400mm f/5.6 and 100-400mm but I do like the option of the f/4 at the longer focal range for early morning and late afternoon game drives. I'm told in many cases 300mm will be enough focal lenth.

So IS or non- IS version and is a early copy, if IS has been replaced, akin to a more recent copy if the glass is ok?

Thanks and hope this message makes sense.

Gelbvieh's gear list:Gelbvieh's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 450D (EOS Rebel XSi / EOS Kiss X2) Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow