Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
D800 -- end of medium-format?
Mar 23, 2012

Looking at DP Review's sample images, it sure looks like the D800 holds its own against the MUCH more expensive Pentax 645D... up through IS0 1600, the top limit on the Pentax... and then the Nikon pix still look sharp up through 6400!

Could this be the end of medium format? "35mm submarine technology" takes a final bite out of the old 120mm standard?

What I'm seeing (and I'm NOT a professional) is that there's no business case for buying a medium-format camera anymore. None.

And this is even before you start looking at lens costs... another News post has the Pentax 645 19mm-eqiv wide angle at $5,000... much more, just for this one lens, than the D800 and several lenses!

If I'm missing something, please let me know. But if I were starting a photography business (no previous investment in lenses), would there be any reason to go medium-format?

Nikon D800 Pentax 645D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow