Has anyone abandoned the X10 for the G1X?

Started Feb 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
Re: "For the price"
In reply to howardroark, Mar 23, 2012

All that may be true (and I'm not loyal to any company) but I would bet that Dpr will mention the price in their review (and the lens and AF) - especially when for less $ you can get a DSLR, camera with a lens system or even both an S100 + an HS30 or SX40. It's not a knock on the G1X it's just how Canon priced it - it will sell no doubt - they always find their place in the market. It's still a great camera and the first I've seen that betters the G10 in resolution/detail at low ISOs - although the S100fs and F100fd came close.

howardroark wrote:

Gary,

There are certain people who will forgive just about anything if the price is right. There are some who will pay just about anything if they get what they want. Saying that the cost of the G1 X is too high for what it delivers is egocentricity at its finest. Tina Fey said it best: “It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don’t like something, it is empirically not good. I don’t like Chinese food, but I don’t write articles trying to prove it doesn’t exist.” Some people don't like the G1 X because its cost is "too high." A reasonable person might add the disclaimer "for me." Being absolutist about it definitely smacks of arrogance...."it is absolutely and obviously priced higher than any reasonable human would pay for it no matter what use they have in mind!"

Some of us see an extremely high quality lens packed into a very tight space in front of a huge (for a point and shoot) sensor and know exactly what to do with it. Some people want to call us fanboys and cuddle up to their X10 in bed whispering "you're the best camera in the whole wide world....why would anyone want anything else?" I wouldn't pay money for the X10 but I don't blame anyone else for liking what they like or paying what they pay for something I would sell if it was given to me. Personal preference, nothing more.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow