High speed photography - Multiple Flash Help

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
TheKwijibo
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
Re: auto mode internals
In reply to Revision, Mar 23, 2012

Thanks for the thoughts.

The output for both flashes appears to be the same visually in magnitude. The projectile is about the same illumination and crispness as its in-frame duplicate.

As you suspected, a full magnitude flash output would render the bullet as a linear blur. When I do fire the flashes at full magnitude, the first flash emits a simple "pop", while the slower one emits a harsh "crack". Both magnitudes are once again similar, or indistinguishable.

I suspect that a light activated trigger would add even more delay in a high-speed application. I don't think one's going to get any faster than a direct wired cord connection, compared to a circuit that relies upon a photo transistor to detect a flash event, and signal to another flash to fire. Though, I can't say for sure, because I haven't tried it.

I might be getting a hold of a new flash here in a week or two, and I'll do some experimentation.

TheKwijibo's gear list:TheKwijibo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow