Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sabatia
Regular MemberPosts: 437
Like?
G3 100-300 Polar Bear!
Mar 23, 2012

I'm up at my place on the northern tip of the island of Newfoundland. Last Friday night one of my neighbors called and told me she had seen a polar bear. The region has one or two a year come ashore following the harp seals on the drift ice. She knows I go out walking early in the morning and she wanted to warn me. Well the next morning as I was drinking my coffee, there was the polar bear, on the other side of the channel right in front of my house. I grabbed my camera and put on the 100-300 lens fully extended, checked that I had a fast ISO(800) and ran out on the my deck and started shooting, hand-held. After a minute or two the bear started out the edge of the big island in front of my house. I realized that I had been shooting at f14 and so for the final shots as the bear was out at the edge of the ice further out, I opened up the aperture.

The images I uploaded are low res, but that first shot was sharp enough so you can see the bear's claws.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow