Started Mar 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Spendthrift
Contributing MemberPosts: 722Gear list
Like?
High iso: 5D2 vs 5D3
Mar 23, 2012

I've been playing around with my new 5D3 for a day now, and I can say it is a huge improvement over the 5D2 for many reasons. One of the best improvements for me is the high iso. Now don't get me wrong, I've owned the 5D2 for years now, and generally it has been a wonderful camera and it even performs well in the high iso departament. However, when you stress the sensor at high iso's, you can get some nasty shadows. What I mean by strees is to have clipping in both highlights and shadows. The 5D2 can show some nasty banding and blotchiness when stressed in this manner, whereas the 5D3 remains smooth with no banding or blotchiness, with more color infromation retained and a nicer grain as well.

I've taken some quick shots with each camera to demonstrate this. The 5D3 had the 50 1.2L on it and the 5D2 had the Zeiss 50 1.4 ZE on it. Both were manually set to 1/80 f4.5 iso6400 WB K500, shot seconds apart (ignore the time difference on any exif data, it's been a while since I've set the time on my 5D2). These are best viewed on a colorspace aware browser such as Safari or even better, saved and viewed side by side in Photoshop. Some of the finer differences get lost when uploading on Pbase, but, you can still see a marked difference.

Evan

Spendthrift's gear list:Spendthrift's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Pentax K-500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MehNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow