K-01 Preview up here at dpreview

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
yesman12
Contributing MemberPosts: 834Gear list
Like?
Re: Andy, why do you not compare cameras with lenses.
In reply to Andy Westlake, Mar 23, 2012

Andy Westlake wrote:

yesman12 wrote:

Also, why did the review ignore the creation of a new line of k mount lenses (XS) specifically designed to reduce the bulk of the K-01? Also to address CDAF operation? I think this is a serious ommision.

The preview doesn't address lenses which don't yet exist because, well, they don't yet exist. We can't have any idea about what they'll look like, and how well they'll work in practice. This is exactly the same reason why my NEX-7 review went to pains to talk about the lack of native lenses for that camera (to similar disgruntlement from some on the NEX forum) - Sony's promised many to come, but that doesn't help anybody who wants the camera and a set of lenses now .

Sorry Andy, but they do exist because the 40mm XS used in the "preview" is the first and they displayed and annouced at least one other lens at CP. I provided a quote and URL but it was blocked but here is the quote again: "

Perhaps the most interesting thing we've learned tonight is that Pentax has plans to take full advantage of the Pentax K-01's mirrorless construction. The new and unnamed SMC Pentax-DA XS lens, pictured above, will extend closer to the K-01's sensor than a normal K-mount lens would. The rear lens elements will be located in the area which would otherwise be blocked by the mirror on a DSLR. This introduces many new lens possibilities for the K-01 as well as future Pentax mirrorless cameras, also meaning that lenses can be made more compact!"

THIS IS MATERIAL AS THIS CONCEPT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED. WHILE THE NEX LENSES WERE NOT ON THE MARKET, THE EXISTANCE OF A NEW MOUNT WAS IDENTIFIED. this also mitigates any concerns about CDAF.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

yesman12's gear list:yesman12's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow