Why shouldn’t I punt the D800 and go with the EOS 5D-Mk3?

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
pwilly
Contributing MemberPosts: 994
Like?
Re: Why shouldn’t I punt the D800 and go with the EOS 5D-Mk3?
In reply to tlinn, Mar 23, 2012

tlinn wrote:

vandv wrote:

having a built in flash cannot be a negative.

It can if it affects the ability of a body to withstand inclement weather. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not calling the D700 or D800 incapable of withstanding poor conditions. I am saying that the flash makes it less capable. It may still be plenty capable for your needs.

The flash apparently had no negative effect in Anarctica, many Canon's failed, No Nikon bodies failed, mostly D700's. Hmmm

What Worked – What Didn't

Canon had loaned me a 5D MKII which my business partner Chris Sanderson intended to also use to shoot a video documentary on our trip, but regrettably it failed in the rain on our first day ashore. The top LCD on a 5D MKII spontaneously cracked; Another 5D MKII had a jambed on lens caused by a loose screw, a 1Ds MKIII reported intermittent problems; a 1D MKIII kept reporting Error 99; one Hasselblad reported electronic lens connection problems; two Canon G9's failed (no G10s had any reported problems), and a Nikon 80-400mm lens came apart. No Nikon bodies (mostly D700s) failed in any way.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

-- hide signature --

Paul
Just an old dos guy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DocSNew
LoLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow