Does my SD have a problem ?

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doubleluca
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: Does my SD have a problem ?
In reply to JefDeC, Mar 22, 2012

I dont think your camera is broken, it is just not a smart camera like a P&S one.
This is my little experience. (SD15 sn2366) and evaluative metering.
fw 1,01 = no major problem shooting STD mode 0,0 bias.

Fw1,02 = PANIC. to avoid clipping and be consistent with in camera HL warning, NTR mode and minimum -0,7 bis was required. Best to meter to the HighLights with centerweight metering mode or spot mode.
Fw 1,03 just for one week but quite good, maybe back to the origin.
Fw 1,04 is good but evaluative metering is still not very reliable.

However the in camera highlights warning is now telling you the truth in STD mode too; when red areas are blinking almost sure you will not recover them (best result with RAW developer).

So i did several tests with the same lightscene (various) and the 4 metereing mode of the camera.

The evaluative metering is giving you wrong exposure very often but it is not predictable. It seems to be wrong with hhigh contrast scenes. But it should be intended to work with them actually (° °)

So now I work in A mode and AEL button hold to the max speed value of the frame using centered weight metering mode (as I was used with my old nice Contax), it works but you nedd few seconds before pressing the shutter botton.
Also average metering mode is working fine.

Otherwise In P mode bracketing is suggested in case of difficult light condition.
ISo 200 helps to avoid clipping.

I agree AFE is worstening the situation, my DP1s and DP2s have not these difficulties.

This is just my experience, and I well now that somebody else could have different experience or opinion.
Please share it.
Ciao

Doubleluca's gear list:Doubleluca's gear list
Sigma DP1s Sigma DP2s Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow