ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SlamdunK
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
M43 Should standardize image stabilization
Mar 22, 2012

Hi all,

I have now been a m43 convert since I got the GF1 with the 20mm when it was released. It is one thing that have bugged me with the format, which is the different implementation of image stabilization between Olympus and Panasonic.

My question is, shouldn't this have been a part of the standard?

I have been using Panasonic cameras so far, and in the beginning they could compete with Olympus on things like auto focus speed, more solid build quality/user interface and better lenses packaged with the cameras (14-45 and 20mm).

Now it seems to me that Panasonic no longer enjoy these benefits. With the OM-5 Olympus have the advantages in all these areas. Panasonic actually downgraded their kit lens. And Panasonic have over segmented their offerings with obviously software limiting their products on things like video, mic support, no more dynamic B&W jpeg (my favorite JPEG setting), etc.

On top of this Panasonic seemingly have problem with their IS on their new lenses. To me it is a no brainer to buy an Olympus camera with the brilliant 5-axis image stabilization. Most of my excellent Panasonic lenses actually do not have IS built in, so this could be another argument for choosing the Olympus.

I am just curios how Panasonic is going to compensate and stay competitive. I think they should go with an IBIS solution, either create their own or license it from Olympus. This would have an increased appeal for the whole format, their lenses could be build even smaller and compatibility between the systems would get higher.

I am pretty sure that a GH3 will come with pretty advanced video camera with futures like faster frame rate excelent video quality etc. But I believe that these cameras are first and formost just that; cameras. And in this area Olympus seem to become the preferred choice.

Panasonic, if you are reading: Do the right thing and unite m43 into one true standard with the best features possible.

-- hide signature --

I.B.

GF2, PL 45mm, PL 25, 20mm, 14mm, 8mm, LVF1

http://pitofknowledge.blogspot.com

SlamdunK's gear list:SlamdunK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow