Started Mar 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,544Gear list
Like?
Why I like challenges.
Mar 22, 2012

The Bubbles challenge that just finished is a good example of how sometimes we have a bias for our own work. It might be because of artistic preferences or in most cases an emotional attachment to our work. Now I will admit I did not think this photo was a contender and only entered it because I've always liked it and it fit the rules. I also know that because of the subtle nature of the bubbles being viewed bigger is better and that is not possible on most screens.

Right now my goal in challenges is to finish in the top 1/3 and if I do that then I'm happy with what I submitted. This is an example of falling into place where I expected and shows me that I'm getting better at understanding what people like and using that info to expand my style to include more work that appeals to a wider variety of people. Having received 5 1's or less shows me that the comp of the photo did not capture the essence of the challenge and I will keep that in mind in the future. It also reinforces why I tend to do better when I shoot with the challenge in mind rather then pulling form my archives.

Bottom line is learning and growing is why I like the challenges.

Congrats to the winner.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=6483&View=Results&Rows=25

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=593831&View=Results&Rows=25

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow