The quickest way to hate the G1 X

Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,509Gear list
Like?
Re: Howard - Using OVF and LCD to compose and shoot.
In reply to howardroark, Mar 21, 2012

howardroark wrote:

The only thing I can think of would be to use a monopod. That's not really a compact solution and not necessarily ideal, but as narrow as the depth of field can be on the G1 X focusing and then moving the camera back to your face a few inches could be problematic.

There are some grip-action monopods that allow for a pretty wide range of grip-controlled adjustment. I know, this adds a lot of weight when the point was to have less weight. I'm sure people can find their own best solutions without my help.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554095-REG/Manfrotto_334B_334B_Automatic_Monopod_Black_.html

It's a very personal thing, but I have extremely low vision cue to a corneal deterioration problem, and have to have the camera pretty close to my face to compose and AF with the LCD . So moving it up to my eye to steady the camera against my forehead has not really been a problem re: DOF as far as I can tell. Maybe a few inches which I haven't noticed with most of the things I shoot. But thanks for that warning and little piece of advice ! And since Macro, portraits , et.with critical DOF c aren't t my thing, I haven't really worried about it

As far as the monopod, any more weight to haul is out of the question for me at the present time, due to thumb basal joint surgery in both wrists. Again, a strictly personal problem. This is why I've had to go from using my dSLR's (and SLR's since the late 70's), to smaller compact cameras this year. I would never carry a monopod or tripod on a trip anyway as I'm very much a minimalist :-). I have been traveling for 35+ years, 3-4 times a year, and have seldom encountered anyone with either tripod or monopod. I do appreciate the suggestion though. I do own a nice carbon fiber monopod with a Manfrotto ball head, thinking it might help me use my dSLR"s in my current situation, but that was't realistic, as it takes more pressure twisting and tightening things than I can manage. C'est la vie !

In the context of service people coming home from the wars with no hands, this is a minor inconvenience. My hand work fine, but not without some pain and risk of doing further damage. So I am having to learn to do a few things in a new way, and I'm glad to have my G1X, SX40 and G12. I do need to pare that down by one camera though !

Thanks Howard for your suggestions !

carolyn
--
Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett

'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow