Why I like the Fujifilm X10 (from a Canon 5D MKII shooter)

Started Mar 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zarniwoop1985
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?
Why I like the Fujifilm X10 (from a Canon 5D MKII shooter)
Mar 21, 2012

Here's my blog for comparison shots with both cameras: http://www.duluxdreams.wordpress.com

This is a non-technical viewpoint. Focusing on the practical photography aspects.

I've been travelling for 5 months now around South America. I have brought a Canon 5D MKII along with me. But recently, whilst in Peru - I purchased the Fujifilm X10.

I have been shooting with it extensively on the streets of Peru and Machu Picchu etc. What do I think?

I think it's a lovely and fun camera to shoot with. And I mean fun! The Canon 5D MKII is not as 'fun' to shoot with because it is big and heavy and intrusive. The X10 is perfect for walking around the streets with. I usually have it wrapped around my wrist with a strap. My shooting style has had to adapt to its quirks. I know that focus speed won't be as quick as the Canon, so I need to be much quicker in looking out for scenes, to give me that vital extra time to compose and shoot. I usually compose with the viewfinder.

I like the fact that the zoom can be changed quickly via the lens and is not motorised. Much much quicker! I like to have exposure and ISO and aperture control at my fingertips. The EXR and Adv modes are really cool. I don't have time for advanced Photoshop panorama treatment, nor do I carry around a tripod, so being able to take Panoramas with it is a joy.

A camera is merely a tool (I know cliche, cliche!) - but one can adapt and work around a particular camera. I've had to change my photographic approach to get on with its quirks and this has meant that:

a) my photography has changed
b) and it's been fun

Beautiful little camera. A pleasure to use. Perfect size for street photography. Produces files you can do much with in Photoshop. I love it.

Zarniwoop1985's gear list:Zarniwoop1985's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 +18 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow