Trying to decide on kit lens when ordering the OM-D

Started Mar 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
David247
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Think versatility and macro...
In reply to Bangers and Mash, Mar 21, 2012

Both lenses are roughly the same in overall image quality.

12-50 is some larger but is fixed length and internal focus/zoom. 14-42 is small when collapsed but in use is not a huge deal smaller.

12-50 has a very impressive macro mode (@ focal length 43mm) that may be the best ever in a kit lens with a usable working distance. (no match for dedicated macro lenses but quite good.)

Speed differences are not that significant, and the 12-50 may be a little better at focus speed in all conditions (nominal difference). Also has a nearly silent zoom for video. Zoom is power (by wire) but is used by turning the collar on the lens instead of a rocker switch. Variable speed zoom I think. Can be made to work like a manual zoom like feel to some degree. Never know when that "weather resistance" may come in handy, and it complements the OMD body weather resistance well.

My choice, would be the 12-50. IQ wise both are very close, so I would opt for the additional versatility. For more shooting speed and IQ go primes (at much higher cost). But if I had only one choice, I would definitely go 12-50. With both lenses, respect their limitations and they will serve you well.

-- hide signature --
 David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow