New D5100 replacing D40... lens questions

Started Mar 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,394Gear list
Like?
Re: New D5100 replacing D40... lens questions
In reply to zombeeez, Mar 21, 2012

zombeeez wrote:

I received my 16-85mm VR yesterday. Purchased from eBay in perfect condition at a fantastic price. Have had almost no time with it so far but initial impressions are very very positive! Can't wait to have some more time with it.

I would like to test it against the 35mm f/1.8 for indoor, night, and general low light use. The short work I did with the 35 at a bday party this weekend was impressive, very fast lens. I have so much to learn with this camera and photo in general but I was able to get some good shots over the weekend... although when I used the 35 inside there was a noticeable red push, probably my inexperience but it was there. I'll get some education going and probably buy Lightroom 3 since I seem to be making an investment here.

I've pre-ordered the 85mm f/1.8g as well, I really want something like that to use at night at Disneyland and just for some of that amazing bokeh that it seems to produce.

I have the 16-85 and the 35 (and I'm going to get the 85 too). What I've found is that the 16-85 is very sharp and has good contrast, and the 35 is...better. They are both amazingly good optics.
--
Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow